Monday, September 26, 2016

September 26,2016 - Project of the Week - The House that Stamps Built

GOLD LEAFING


This week over at The House that Stamps Built it is my designer project of the week and I was so excited that it fell during the fall season.  I just got "new" stamps of leaves, and autumn greetings and for this one I used:  5127K  Maple leaf Silhouette  and the Thanksgiving greeting 1140E Thanksgiving .  The technique I used is GOLD LEAFING and although it has been around for a long time I haven't done it in a while. You get better results if you use a solid image vs. one with thinner open lines.  Therefore I used brown ink for my greeting vs. doing it in gold leaf. 

Here are the supplies I used for my project.  


I used Emboss Stick which is a sticky embossing powder - stamped with VersaMark and then sprinkled the embossing powder. 


As with any embossing,  sprinkle your extra embossing powder back in the container. When you heat emboss, heat until the image is shiny - this will not take very long and don't over heat as it will not stick, hence Sticky Embossing powder.  You may want to do one for trial and error before you get the right stickiness.  Immediately put in container with the gold flakes, make sure your image is face down.    


I have a container that I keep my flakes in and you can use them over and over, so there is no waste.  I also used a regular 1/2 inch paint brush. Use an inexpensive one that you can get in most craft departments.  


You press the gold leafing all over the shiny embossed area.  


You brush and move all of the gold leaf off of the image and you will see the more you brush the more vibrant your colors become.  


 I stamped my greeting with brown versafine ink and then completed my card. 


Added a bakers twine bow and some brown pearls. If you have some gold leafing in your stash get it out and play.  

5 comments:

Patti J said...

This is beautiful! Love this leaf done in the pretty fall colored flakes! Thanks for inspiring me to look for my flakes! Hugs...

loz said...

Fabulous card and technique Shirley. I have never heard of this but I will have to check it out after seeing your tutorial..Loz

Donna said...

Charming card and fabulous tutorial Shirley!

Cheryl W said...

That's a beautiful leaf - and I bet it looks even better IRL! I've never used gold leaf, but after seeing your card I really want to give it a try.

Diane said...

Great card! I love the look of the flakes. I have some but haven't used them. I will have to try them. Great job!